Salame al cioccolato

What a week it has been!  Last Saturday evening our house caught fire.  The fire began in a second floor bathroom, spread up above the ceilings of the upstairs bedrooms, and through the roof.  Thankfully, no one was hurt.  Our house, however, sustained significant damage from the fire, smoke and water, and requires much repair.

We’ve had tremendous support and kindness from neighbors, friends and family, and our insurance company is taking care of all of our needs.  We are in a hotel for the short term, and have already found a house to rent in the neighborhood while ours is being rebuilt.

Among the other logistics we’ve had to sort out this week is how to keep Due Spaghetti current.  Our hotel suite has two little ceramic glass burners that we haven’t tried out yet, and our soot-infiltrated camera has been taken away for cleaning.

Simona from the wonderful blog Briciole reminded us that focusing on cooking can help regain balance and perspective.  She’s exactly right – it really does.

We didn’t want to miss a post this week, but we also haven’t really settled into our tiny hotel kitchen yet.  Over the past few weeks we’ve fun across a few holiday cookie contests in newspapers and on websites, we decided that we’d get an early start on one of our favorite Christmas treats, salame al cioccolato, or Chocolate Salame.

Made to resemble a real salame, this rum-infused chocolate log is an easy but delicious no-bake winter treat.  Our kids love it, and adults ask for the recipe every time we serve it.

Going shopping this morning for the ingredients, clearing counter space in our mini-kitchen to work, and most importantly experiencing the satisfaction of making something tasty from scratch was a good first step in putting the fire behind us and returning to the regular rhythm of out lives.

The key ingredient to salame al cioccolato are biscotti secchi, which are a light, dry biscuit or cookie with no filling of frosting and a low fat content.  In Italia, we use biscotti made by Oro Saiwa.  In the U.S. we have found a Mexican biscuit called Marias by Gamesa which is a good substitute.  Otherwise, use any simple, light biscuit or cookie.

Ingredients for 6 salami
600 grams (4 & 1/3 packs) biscuits, plus extra for dusting.
300 grams (1 & 1/3 cups) unsalted butter, at room temperature
300 grams (1 & 1/2 cups) sugar
50 grams (slightly less than 1/2 cup) unsweetened baking cocoa
2 eggs
1 shot glass of rum

You will also need plastic wrap.

Directions
Place the biscuits into a shallow bowl and crush them into small pieces using the flat bottom of a glass or bottle.  Set aside.

Beat the eggs, and add the butter.  Add the sugar, cocoa and rum, and beat by hand until well mixed.  Stir in the biscuits.

Crush the rest of the biscuits in the partially used package in a food processor, and place into a shallow baking dish.  Use your hands to form the mixture into logs.  Roll each log in the biscuit crumbs to resemble salame, and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.  Place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.

Serve sliced, or place on a cutting board with a knife and let your guests do the cutting, just as you might a real salame.

Salame al Cioccolato

About these ads
This entry was posted in Desserts and Baked Goods, Recipes and Wine Pairings and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Salame al cioccolato

1. mary bertas says:

Cara, Stefano and Boys- I was so saddened to hear of the fire. I know you have wonderful support, and I would love to be called upon for any help. You are intelligent, resilient people, and wonderful cooks , to boot! Look forward to more recipes and news of recovery from this scary, but thankfully not tragic event.
    Love to all,
    Mary

2. PolaM says:

I’m so sorry to hear about the fire. I am glad everyone is well!
    That salame al cioccolato looks awesome and I am sure it makes you all feel more at home!

3. Really shocked to hear of the fire. I admire your spirit during this really difficult time – salame al cioccolato is a such a dear memory from my childhood – yes – including the dark Rum! BTW, thanks again for accepting the Cannolo Award and for giving it such a prominent location on your blog. I saw you added me to the list of winners :) I suppose this authorizes me to add my name to the list then! Thanks!

• duespaghetti says:

Yes, Yes, Paolo – you’re at the top of our Cannolo list! It’s been fun to find your blog. Actually, we thought of you and Quatro Fromaggio recently when we saw “Affagoto” on the dessert menu of a so-called Italian restaurant. Thanks for your well-wishes.

4. Lisa says:

So, so sorry to hear this news. Glad you are all safe. Best wishes for speedy rebuilding.

5. Io non aggiungo molto agli incoraggiamenti degli altri. Ho messo le foto del pane sul mio blog e un messaggio per te. Un saluto.

6. Jene says:

Cara,
    I am so sorry to hear of the fire. I hope the rebuild goes quickly and uneventfully for you. Sending thoughts and prayers.
    Jene

7. Simona says:

So good to read you made something in your tiny kitchen and something that is bound to cheer up everybody. As a kid, I loved salame di cioccolato. I have never made it, though: I guess I don’t trust myself with something like this readily available ;) Can you believe that something as simple as Oro Saiwa cannot be found here? I just got back from Italy and definitely biscotti secchi is one food I miss (Petiti Paveso: sigh!). I hope you’ll soon move into the rental place. Any idea how long it will take to rebuild your house?

• duespaghetti says:

Welcome back, Simona. We trust that that your visit to Italy was a good one. What a wonderful time of year to go! Over the 11 years since we moved to the States, it has gradually become easier to find the Italian food we need. It is funny that biscotti secchi haven’t made it here yet. (That is a hint to any readers who happen to be food importers!) Our contractors tell us that it will take about 6 months to rebuild. We’ll winter away in our cozy rental home, and when the snow melts hopefully we will be ready to move back in.

8. Pingback: Spaghetti alla puttanesca | Due Spaghetti

9. Pingback: Pasta e ceci | Due Spaghetti

10. Pingback: Tozzetti | Due Spaghetti

11. Pingback: Pasta fredda al salmone e sedano (Smoked Salmon Pasta Salad) | Due Spaghetti

12. Pingback: The Wineries of Northern Italy: Piedmont and the Langhe | Due Spaghetti

13. Pingback: Il torrone | Due Spaghetti